Sunday, December 7, 2008

What I have learned...

Over the last few weeks several of my friends have graciously allowed me to take some photos of them and/or their family. It has been an invaluable experience for me and I have learned a lot. Here are some things I have learned...

#1 and #2...
Check my white balance. It's more important than I thought.

Also, my camera tends to over expose on aperture priority mode. I guess it's time for me to move to all manual settings.


Some creative poses work, others do not...


Maybe for a wedding party, but not for kids. And, I have to be really careful with my background and depth of field with this pose.

When they say "Don't take maternity shots straight on", they mean it.

When I did my research for the maternity shoot, I read over and over - "Take maternity shots from any angle except straight on". What did I do? Yep, took a shot from straight on.

This shot totally didn't work - lesson learned (and Jen, you didn't look like this - I promise!) .



I learned two lessons here as well. #1 notice the details, and because of #1, #2 a little photo editing is okay.

Here is the shot as it was taken...

It's sweet, but not perfect. Here I "removed" the extra fabric on the left and gave it a bit of a tweak with the lighting.

And finally (though I'm sure there is much more for me yet to learn), shooting next to a waterfall is beautiful, but bring something to get the attention of the kids so they look at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, What a great shot of Clay and Brian. Yup, he is growing up and will continue to do so as long as your feed him all that really great stuff that you are so good at cooking. Love to all, Mom