Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Process

What is process? I've always thought of it as the part of life that involves the waiting. The space in between events. Like traveling from one event to another. It's the hoops we have to jump through to get to the next phase. Each step that we take through life is part of the process. Or maybe I just feel it more acutely when I'm waiting. When there is nothing else to take my attention.

It seems that over the last few years process has been a recurring theme in my life. I've never been one to enjoy waiting for the next phase. I have always wanted to go from one event to another without having any time in between. The harder I try to avoid waiting the longer the wait seems.

I believe that God works in those in between times. Teaching us patience, perseverance, how to truly rely on Him, and so many more traits that I would love to snap my fingers and have be part of my character. Funny how the desire to have those traits instantly is the very thing that causes them to allude me.

Now that we are looking at another adoption the idea of process is coming up again. First with the paperwork, then with the paperwork, and then again with the paperwork. Did you know that an adoption creates quite a bit of paperwork? Well, if you didn't let me tell you - lot's of paperwork. I've heard it referred to as the "paperwork pregnancy".

The process isn't so bad when there are immediate things that I can take care of. But when I'm waiting on others it's harder. But so often, the wait comes just because the passage of time brings about change. I can't hurry it along.

Now our home study is done, our profiles are in and we are waiting. Waiting to be "matched" with the birth mom that will give birth to the baby that will become ours. There is nothing I can do to hurry it along.

This makes me think about the idea of the journey of life. What does it mean to journey? When I think about trips that I've taken the best memories are not really the destination. While I've been to some great places, the joy is in the company and the adventure.

Shouldn't it be that way with life?

No comments: