Friday, May 2, 2008

Defining

How do you define yourself?

I am a Christian.
I am a wife.
I am a mother.
I am a horse owner.

What I do isn't who I am. But, who I am shows itself in what I do.

For 27 years I have been riding and training horses and teaching riding lessons. It's been off and on, but my passion has always been there. 6 years ago I purchased a weanling (9 month old - just weaned) horse. I raised him and trained him. And, when we moved cross country from KY to WA I brought him with me.

When I talk with new acquaintances and they ask me what I do, my horse comes up 99% of the time. Part of how I define myself is through horses.

Now, for many reasons, I have sold my horse. He is going to the home of my choosing, but still he is going.

How do I define myself? I love being a wife and mother. And I wish that that would fill me up completely. But, there is a hole opening up within me. How do I fill it? Who do I become?

I have a inkling that I will still stay involved with horses somehow. But not at the level that ownership requires.

I am a firm believer that everyone needs something that feeds their soul. Horses have been that for me. When I'm in a bad mood my husband sends me to the barn and I usually come back much happier.

What will feed my soul now?

No comments: